Tuesday, February 9, 2010

If I Had To Choose

Last night I watched 'This Is It' - the documented performance of what was to be Michael Jackson's 50 sold-out concerts.

Some of you may be Michael Jackson fans - some not. In the end it doesn't matter. What does matter is the message that Michael wanted to give the world. The message that the earth needed protecting and it needed help. But most importantly - one of love. That we need to love one another and not to judge each other. The earth would be a better place if we all just tried.

When the film ended I was left feeling profoundly sad that this incredible performer was gone just days before his attempt to heal the world with his music. I went off into the bathroom and had a good cry because it seemed like such a waste to me. To lose someone who might have eventually made a difference with all his fans - and maybe those that weren't as well.

I personally do not care what the media has had to say about Michael over the years. I had always wished they would just leave the man alone. Can you imagine living in a glass house and under a microscope all of your life with big faces peering down at you - and the word here is 'down'.

When I awoke this morning I read a story about a local hero who had been stabbed and was recovering in the hospital. This hero was not just your ordinary guy - but a homeless man who lived under a bridge. He had saved 2 different people from drowning and because of it had moved into a government owned apartment block. It was here that he was stabbed.

From that story I moved on to one about tainted cocaine laced with levamisole - a veterinarian drug used to treat intestinal worms. This combination can eventually kill the person if left untreated. But the world of drugs is one of profit and it doesn't matter to the dealer how that profit comes about or what it might do to others.

Now - I have admitted that I did cocaine in my youth. I spent a year trying to run away from the abusive relationship I was in by doing cocaine as often as I could. I knew it was cut with something but at the time I didn't care. Just reading this story made my stomach clench and I thought of how lucky I really was to have survived that stupid habit.

Put this all together and we have the harsh reality of life mixed with Michael Jackson's desire to bring peace and love to the world.

It clashes horribly doesn't it? It makes one's mind almost twist if you juxtapose one over the other.

I've been on the other side - the hard side - and even though everyday is a party - it's not that fun. Believe me.

For me - I'd choose Michael Jackson's world any day. One of love and the joy of music and singing and dancing and giving your all so that it would be a better world today.

9 comments:

grandmamargie said...

Yes, it would be nice if we could all just love, laugh and dance with each other. All the time. Have a great day, Aims. With love to you.

Anonymous said...

Yes the news is full of such contrasts. I try to look for the good in people and make my little corner more pleasant.

If everyone did and were less into getting themselves rich, then maybe the world would be a better place. How wonderful would it be to live in that world instead of the one we read about all too often?

Maggie May said...

If everyone did their little bit then the world would be a better place.
Looks like Michael Jackson would still be here if it wasn't for his addiction & finding a doctor who would give him what he wanted.
Glad you came out of your addiction, Aims.

Nuts in May

Akelamalu said...

I'm happy you came out of your addiction Aims, I wish Michael could have done the same. The terrible thing about Michael's addiction, I feel, was that it was a Doctor that kept it fuelled! So sad.

I agree with you, Michael's ideal world is one I would like to live in.

Saz said...

hallelujah!! a sane person at last...l was very moved by the film and hope it eventually get to dvd...as it is very powerful...and waat a loss to us all..really...

thanks for this post..great stuff..

Bernie said...

Michael Jackson's story is just plain sad....the FBI investigated him for 17 years and couldn't find anything that he did wrong, just enough to ruin his reputation...I still get angry over this...he was too kind and gentle for this world and I am thankful for all he did do donating to charities and through his music....

I am so happy you were able to move away and move forward from the drug scene....good for you.

........:-) Hugs

Rachel Green said...

He was certainly a fabulous performer.

Living the Dream said...

He will be greatly missed and oh how lovely it would be to live in his ideal world. We can but try to make it so. I hope you are feeling a little better these days aims, put on your dancing shoes, love your man and laugh out loud.

Unknown said...

www.resumemine.com
I’m looking for a new job now. Yesterday I decided to write my resume-I know that it is a guarante of the successful search. So I decided make it according to the rules. I looked up at several sites and then came across the resumemine.com. There I found all the information I needed – from the definition of the CV up to the self-check. Having examined the existing types of resumes with examples and detailed recommendations how to write them I chose the most suitable one for me. All the work took me about half an hour and now I have the best resume that will surely lead me to that very job interview.